Thursday, September 16, 2010

First Step


 
Evelyn H. Lauder Breast Center at Memorial Sloan Kettering

Yesterday was the big day...my first appointment with an oncologist at the Breast Center at Sloan Kettering, or as I've been referring to it, SK.   As it turns out, I may not have breast cancer.  I may possibly have a glandular skin cancer that ended up in the area of my breast (it is just amazing to me how they can see things like this).  This is what happens when your biopsy slides go missing for weeks, and then finally get looked at by the best of the best in terms of pathology labs.  In order to sort this out, I will be traveling to Manhattan to visit with my new friends at SK several times over the next couple of weeks.  I will be seeing specialized surgeons and having all kinds of imaging done.  I spent most of my morning today getting all these appointments scheduled, after not getting home until after ten pm last night.  As you can imagine I was feeling pretty spent today, a kind of "not quite here" feeling.  I am feeling very blessed though that I managed to make my way to SK, even if my journey there was quite long and roundabout. 

I was happy to be able to create this space for updates on my progress... I'll try to intersperse it with malas, yoga and anything else that feels right.

No comments: